If you have shocked your pool and now you cannot wait to jump back into the pool for a good swim, then WAIT, YOU HAVE TO READ THIS before you go back swimming.
So, what is shocking the pool and how long should one wait after shocking a pool to start swimming again.
It just makes me very impatient to go back and swim in the nice cool water again, especially in summers, we have all been there but read the entire post before you go ahead and do that!
What is Shocking a Pool?
Shocking a pool is a process where you add some shocking product in the pool so that the chlorine levels in the pool increase and it gets rid of chloramine and other contaminants in the pool.
Keep in mind, if you have a lot of bacteria and algae build-up then you might have to increase the quantity of the shock product that you add to the pool.
So, how do you know how much shock product to add to the pool?
This can vary from one product to another and it also depends on the type of shock product that you are using.
If you are using Sodium Hypochlorite in your pool then you can use 10 ounces of this per 10,000 gallons of water.
This is usually in liquid form and it acts quickly to kill bacteria and other microorganisms that may be in the pool water.
So, depending on your pool’s condition and volume, you are going to use a shock product. Make sure to read the instructions and ingredients at the back of the shock product to be aware of what you are using.
However, if you use Calcium Hypochlorite then, it mainly comes in powder form and you have to use one pound per 10,000 gallons of water.
If you have green, black, or yellow color algae in your pool water, you will use thrice the amount of Calcium Hypochlorite.
If you are using a saltwater pool then you should avoid using Calciumypochlorite.
Saltwater pools do not need shocking as often but you still have to shock your saltwater pool once a while depending on the usage.
How How long to wait after shocking a Swimming pool?
It is best to wait for around 8 hours once you have shocked the pool, especially with chlorine-based products.
This is the minimum time in my opinion and once 8 hours pass by you should start testing the free chlorine levels in the water anything around 1-3 ppm is safe to swim(since the time varies according to the size of the pool and amount of chlorine added).
You can also swim 12 hours after shocking and I would always recommend to TEST the chlorine levels before swimming in a recently shocked pool.
You can always check the instructions on the shock treatment product to see how long to wait before you can go swimming, but I would give a ballpark figure of about 8 hours.
Make sure to see that the chlorine levels in the pool is not more than 3ppm because if the chlorine levels in the pool is high it can cause health hazards.
The first thing that could happen to someone swimming in a pool with high chlorine concentration is skin rashes and burning of the eyes.
As soon as you witness any of these, come out of the pool immediately and rinse yourself with soap and water.
And if you happen to have nausea and difficulty breathing then it might be time to call 911.
So, make sure you wait long enough after shocking the pool and taking a swim because the after-effects are just not worth it.
What happens if you go in a pool that was just shocked?
If you accidentally swim in a shocked pool soon after it was shocked then it is best to get out and wash your body thoroughly with water and soap.
Make sure you let everyone know that the pool is unavailable for a few hours to avoid people accidentally swimming in a shocked pool.
Make sure to test the chlorine levels before swimming in a shocked pool as you do not want to risk any skin irritation from high chlorine levels.
I always recommend that you test the chlorine levels of a saltwater pool that was just shocked before taking a swim in it.
If the free chlorine levels are below 3ppm you are good to go. Anything above this level is not safe to swim in.
What time is the best to shock a Pool?
I think it is best to shock your pool in the evening or night so that the Ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun cannot react with the free chlorine in the water that comes from the shock product.
Not only would this make shocking the pool easier, but it would also help you wait longer because no one usually wants to swim in the night.
I would highly recommend shocking the pool it in the evening and letting it sit through the night as that makes waiting to take a swim in the pool so much easier.
If you want to do it in the daytime then the best thing to do is to use a chlorine stabilizer such as cyanuric acid and then you can proceed.
How often do I shock my pool?
So, the next question that comes to mind is how often do I shock the pool, and is it needed to be done that often?
It really depends on how often you use the pool and the temperature around. If you have a lot of people using the pool every day (public pools) then shocking it every day is okay.
However, if it is a private pool that you own then you can shock it once every week and you are good to go.
The hotter the temperature around, the more prone the pool water is to bacterial growth so make sure you shock your pool and do not use the same pool water for longer without treating it.
A good way to do this is to make sure the free chlorine in pool water is always about 3 ppm and that is a good sign that the water is good.
If the concentration decreases, then you know it is time to shock your pool again.
Shocking Pool is going to help you avoid that cloudy murky water and you are going to have nice clear water in your pool if you shock your pool whenever needed.
Why should one shock their Pool?
1. When the free chlorine levels are 0 ppm
This is the most common reason why you should shock your pool. Free chlorine less than this level means that the water can easily grow bacteria and other containments.
The reason chlorine is put in water is that it can keep the pool water clean, hence it is ideal to maintain the chlorine levels inside the pool water.
2. When there is an alage build up in the pool
Yes, this is a very crucial time that you have to shock your pool with calcium hypochlorite as suggested above and use twice/thrice the amount you will normally use to kill the algae.
Getting rid of algae in the pool can be a pain and I find shocking the pool is one of the best ways to do that.
3. After many people have used a pool or after a pool party
Isn’t this quite obvious, I mean I do not want to jump into my pool the next day of a pool party without cleaning it.
You never know what people do in the pool water and that includes urinating. Regardless of who they are, I believe there is always one person who has to do something weird in the pool.
So, it is best to clean the pool after many people have used it. This is when you realize it is so important to shock the pool and clean all the impurities inside it.
4. When the pool temperature increases
When the pool temperature increases, it becomes an environment for bacteria and algae to thrive. So, it is best to have water at an ideal temperature.
You can use a thermometer to measure the temperature of the pool water and make sure it is around- 78-84 °F, if it is anything more than that then time to shock your pool again.
How To Raise Free Chlorine Level In Swimming Pool
Tips on How to Lower Chlorine Levels in Swimming Pool
How To Raise Chlorine Level In Pool With Bleach
Hope you found this post helpful, if you have any suggestions leave them in the comments below so that it would be helpful to others.
Leave a Reply